You’d be right to ask why we would feature something like tabletop games here on Oemsie a travel and photography blog. Call it experience. As we’ve traveled the world we’ve come to realize there’s many different ways to connect with people and one of our favorites turned out to be tabletop role-playing games. Especially so on cold wet days you’re not able to be outside enjoying nature.
Tabletop role-playing games, RPG for short, is a form of role-playing in which the players describe their actions through speech. There’s normally a formal set of rules and guidelines which determine how to game plays out and what the characteristics are of each player. The game normally has a game master who describes the game environment and determines certain actions not determined by the rules, guidelines, and throw of the dice.
The most famous tabletop RPG is probably dungeons and dragons, which can be players by beginners but tends to be very involved and complicated for some.
Below we have listed the 10 best selling tabletop RPGs for beginners. Beginner games tend to be more straightforward and easier to get into.
*Updated for 2018
The 10 Best Selling Tabletop Role-Playing Games for Beginners :
- Take your first steps into an exciting world of fantasy adventure with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Beginner Box!
- Paizo Publishing
- Bring the cinematic experience of Star Wars to your tabletop
- Players assume the roles of members of the Rebel Alliance in its struggle against the evil galactic Empire
- The perfect starting point for new roleplayers and players new to Star Wars: Age of Rebellion alike
- A complete, standalone game for 3-5 players
- Includes four pre-generated characters, a complete, learn-as-you-go adventure, one rulebook, a double-sided map, 14 custom dice and 48 tokens
- The perfect entry into the Star Wars roleplaying experience for players of all skill levels
- A complete, learn-as-you-go adventure quickly sets you upon the path to your destiny
- Play as any of four fully developed characters, each with his or her own talents and backstory
- Set just prior to the events of The Force Awakens
- Custom dice develop your story with every roll
- Ages: 14+
- The Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game is a complete standalone experience for 3-5 novice roleplayers.
- Fantasy Flight Pub Inc
- Ages: 13+
- Number of Players: 1-4
- Playing Time: 90 minutes
- Jason Bulmahn
- Paizo Inc.
- The perfect entry into Star Wars roleplaying for all aspiring Jedi!
- Features a complete learn-as-you-go adventure that guides you through the rules even as you participate in its unfolding story
- Pre-generated character folios come with all the information players need to interact with the story and each other
- Fourteen custom dice allow you to jump right into game play, advancing your story with every roll
- Serves as a launching pad for future adventures, complete with suggestions
- Keeps your Star Wars adventures focused on the action with a helpful GM screen
- Provides GMs with additional information about the game's nemesis system to help them create worthyadversaries for their players
- A complete adventure carries players beyond the Core Rulebook's adventure
- Loose Leaf
- Fantasy Flight Pub Inc
- A complete standalone roleplaying experience set within the Star Wars galaxy
- Concise rules for character generation and advancement get you started in minutes
- Contains extensive background information on the Galactic Civil War, the Rebel Alliance and dozens of weapons, devices, starships and adversaries
- Features a complete, introductory adventure to launch players into the action
- Fully compatible with all other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars roleplaying systems
- 448-page rulebook contains everything players and GMs need to start roleplaying in the Star Wars galaxy
- Focuses on story-rich locations where morality is gray and nothing is certain
- Concise rules guide players through quick character creation and advancement
- Extensive background information helps players and GMs expand their adventures in the Star Wars universe
- A complete introductory adventure launches players into action!
- 64-page adventure book with everything the Dungeon Master needs to get started
- 32-page rulebook for playing characters level 1-5
- 5 pre-generated characters, with character sheet
- Set of 6 Polyhedral D&D Dice